DISCOVER NEW SOUNDS & VIDEOS. DON'T FORGET TO CRANK THE VOLUME UP!

Monday, March 12, 2012

BARRY WHITE


I walked into my favorite coffee shop in Burlington, Vermont last Friday morning and they had one of my true guilty pleasures playing on the stereo: Barry White.  In fact, it was a live recording of Barry covering Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe.  The baristas were all swaying to the music and it reminded me that there was always something inherently cool about Barry White.  His voice was so deep and the dance tunes he wrote had such great grooves!

This morning, I was thinking about the first time I heard Barry White.  It was in 1975 and I really didn’t like it.  I was an extremely hip young man back then, a full blown Deadhead and an aficionado of the music of the counter culture.  Oddly enough, this would sometimes even include punk music.  But Barry White was…disco!  It couldn't be cool.

Right?

8 years later, I flipped on Late Night With David Letterman and his guest that evening was Barry White.  Not only was I blown away by the big sound when Barry sat down at the piano and banged out Never Never Gonna Give You Up, but he even appeared in one of Dave’s skits, Camping With Barry White.

Gotta love Barry White, babe.

1 comment: